Thursday, June 19, 2008

To move..or not to move..that is the question

We are in the middle of this question.."To move..or not to move." Now in reality this choice isn't up to us. Again our fate is left in the medical training system! 3 years ago this brought us to Chicago..finding out in Feb. and moving in April. And now here we are again. Jason is interviewing for stroke fellowships and we have narrowed it down to Chicago, Iowa, and Kansas. I know first thought is..KANSAS!! But Jason interviewed at Iowa and loved it, the part I love..it is only 4 1/2 hours from home, cost of living is a lot less than Chicago (I may actually get to work part time..ah the dream!) Our second choice is Kansas..and lastly Chicago. (3 yrs ago we got our second choice..so you never know how it will work out!) We do love Chicago but we have missed out on so much being so far from family and friends! I have missed my nieces and nephews growing up, Hadley has missed time with her grandparents and cousins, I missed out on time with my Grandfather, Jason missed out on time with his Granny, Jason has missed out on time with his brother and I still haven't seen my best friends baby who was born in March!! And these are just the top things we have missed out on!! I give lots of admiration for those who gain from being away from family, I just don't feel enough gains! There are two gains from living away: it has made my marriage the best it can be (you really get close when all you have is eachother) and it has given me and Hadley a closeness I could never duplicate, at 4 yrs old she truely is my best friend. There are many more interviews to do and many more weeks of waiting..but until then we will enjoy every moment in Chicago! (And hoping to hear from Iowa soon!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, having the folks four hours away is totally do-able. You can easily decide on Thursday night to drive down after work on Friday, come home on Sunday night and feel like you had a good little trip home. :) Glad you guys have some good possibilities on the horizon!

Anonymous said...

We are very proud of you three and all you have accomplished on your own. You both reached higher than many ever attempt, and in so doing have advanced your careers and given Hadley experiences she quite simply could have nowhere else. As Benjamin Franklin? said "Nothing ventured, nothing won." The further "gains", you will increasingly realize, will come as a result of Jason's achieving fine medical credentials so he can make an even better future for his family.
Living life, though, is a little like having 400 tv channels...you can never watch them all. People do "miss out" on some parts of a life when they choose one course over another. But all of your family and friends want you to succeed, and they understand you can't be everywhere and do everything. You have your own great lives ahead of you.
Love, Grandpa and Grandma Day