Friday, June 27, 2008

How do you do this?

This is a question that I get asked about 3-4 times a week. How do I do what I do: being a Hospice Social Worker. The answer is not easy. My job revolves around those that are dying. I am there when a patient/family just find out there are no other treatment options, when a family sees a loved one go from being fine to being in the hospital on a vent, when children learn their parent is dying, when someone learns or decides their fight is up. I work with parents learning to accept they won't be there to see their children grow, graduate, get married, or see their grandchildren. I work with spouses who are having to say good-bye to their one true love for the last 60+ years. I work with children struggling to make the choice for their parent who cannot speak. I help those trying to decide; continue the feeding tube, take off the vent, stop all treatments. I am in hospitals, nursing homes, and homes. I see cancer, dementia, MS, ALS, Cardio problems, and just failure to thrive. I see those in their 30's to those in their 90's. I hold their hand, I talk and most importantly let them talk. I educate and reassure them of their choice. I validate their anger, saddness, and relief. And I leave there knowing I gave them the compassion they needed. The education they needed. The validation. And most importantly I leave there knowing I have set them up with nurses, nurse assistants, chaplins, counseling, medications, equipment, support. I have given them a piece of comfort and mind. But what I leave with each time is the knowledge that at no ago are you safe from a life changing event. And at no time should you take for granted your own health, the health of those around you, and to always end every conversation with an "I Love You" and to always tell those in your life they are important. And most important for me, I leave there learning to enjoy life and live in the moment. For you never know when those moments are limited. I gain just as much or more from my patients as they do from me. So, that is how I do this.

2 comments:

Grandma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grandma said...

I can never thank my daughter enough for the wonderful love and care she gave her grandfather and our family during his last months and days. She guided us through the process and enabled our family to love, share, be there for eachother and most importantly let him rejoin his beloved forever in peace.
God Bless you Stacie and all who do the job you have chosen.
Mom