Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lights Out!




We were one of the many affected by the storms Monday night! We were home when the tornado sirens went off. We didn't hear them at first, I was in Hadley's room checking on her (she hates storms) and I thought I heard it..not to alarm her I went out to the living room and checked the weather- sure enough-we were under a tornado warning! Before we could decide what to do and where to go, the sirens went off and the news showed the storm had already went past us! About 10 minutes later I was in Hadley's room again and "BOOM" a large spark and no lights!! I was very glad to be in Hadley's room so she wasn't too scard when it happened.
In the morning another oh so lovely surprise (not the sarcasm)-I can't get my car out of the garage! We are very lucky to have a garage in chicago, esp one right at our back door, but this is one time when having a garage in chicago, well, sucked! There is no door to get in, only by using the electric door opener. My boss told me they never had someone call in because they couldn't get their car out of the garage..so, I'm a first!

Luckily the weather was managable, and me and Hadley stayed out of the house almost all day! We took the train down to evanston and enjoyed the book store and a movie. Then we spent the afternoon at the park. That night a few people in the building decided they would cook all their meats since we weren't sure when we would get power back..so we hung out with them cooking on the grills and drinking beer (didn't you know beer goes bad too and it must be drunk!)

I did call into the automated recording and heard we would get power back at 7:45..well, they made it pretty close..8:30! We were all very happy not to go another day without, as we knew some would have days without power.

Only thing lost..lots of groceries! Overall, I really enjoyed my free day with Hadley!

0 comments: