Friday, August 15, 2008

"Frog You"

I saw fellow blogger Jessica mentioned her little angel has developed a new phrase, "Shit Shit Shit". As I laughed at her blog it brought me back to fond memories of Hadley's little slips..or should I say Mommy's little slips that Hadley just so loved to repeat!
The first came when Hadley was about 18 months old. We were getting into the car and it had just finished raining and there was a large puddle under the car door. I was doing what all moms do, multi-tasking, attempting to put her into the car seat, carry her Frankie animal, and my purse. And well, you guessed it my NEW purse fell right into the puddle. What comes out of my mouth is my favorite saying, "F***, F***, F***". As I was trying not to show my anger at dropping my purse, my daughter says, "uck, uck, uck". I was never so happy that my daughter did not know how to say her "F" sounds at the time!!
Now..bring us a few months later..oh, probably around 2 1/2 yrs old. We heard her say "frog" one day and we both looked at each other with this expression of.."What just came out of her mouth?" and her "frog" sounded like "f***". So we decided to have fun with this, as parents you learn it is okay to have your kids do things to entertain you! We then taught our impressionable little angel to say "Frog you". (I think the first one we tried this on was her Uncle Steve!!) I know, not the phrase you would think parents would teach their kids, but after all..it is only a phrase that is funny coming out of a toddler! We did have to stop this trick soon, trying to say "frog" so much got her to actually say the word correctly.
Oh..and I will mention I took enjoyment in this game long before I had kids..I was the one who taught my loving nephew Zack to say "Trucker". (Just use your imagination and guess what word that was to be.) But I will add, this was only after my own brother, his father, taught him to say "britches" when he couldn't pronounce his "R"!!
Now, I have learned to watch what I say very well..no more calling drivers bad words, no more slips when I stub my toe. But the funny thing is to Hadley the word "stupid" is a bad word! And trust me, you don't realize how many times you say that word until you have a 4 yr old point it out to you!
I will note this blog makes it sound like I have quite the potty mouth..I really don't. I am an (almost) 30 yr old who still can't say a bad word when around my parents!!

0 comments: