Thursday, February 5, 2009

A little of Daddy and a little of Mommy

Today was parent-teacher conference at Hadley's preschool. Hadley is right on track with academics for kindergarten. No surprise there..and no surprise when it comes to her behavior either. Hadley is a mixture of both her Mommy and Daddy. She has a tendancy to be a leader, likes to be in control and at times likes to be a bit bossy and tells the other kids what they need to do or she wants them to do. And then the rest of the time she likes to be the class clown! Her teacher said she likes to get everyone laughing and rallied up. So...she is learning from her mommy who is a strong willed person who likes order, admits to having a control issue, and likes to take charge in situations because she cannot handle chaos. And she is learning from her daddy who likes to make everything a joke, goof off all the time, and be silly! I think it is a perfect combination....and I am proud that Hadley is a leader and not a follower. I just hope she keeps that up! And for the bossiness, well, that we will have to work on!! And the being a class clown..I can invision a few meetings with the teachers in our future!
Now her teacher did ask me how we structured things in our house, asking if we had a reward board. To which I said, well, sort of. We have a board we call "DOTS". We have a list of things she is to do everyday and at night we go over them and put "DOTS" next to the ones she does. We don't give rewards for this..these are things I expect my child to do without a reward. Things like..help around the house, take care of the dog, put toys away, and listen to mommy's words. As I was explaining this I was imagining her thinking, "oh, so this is where Hadley gets the control issues from." No, really, she praised me for offering up structure and rules as she sees a lot of parents dont. This made me feel good, we moms know we don't always get praise for our work!!
Overall the meeting went great..I just hope the little issues don't become bigger ones once she is in the elementary school setting!!

1 comments:

Grandma said...

Yes, I can see lots of Mommy and Daddy in our little Hadley. She does like to be bossy and verbal--Mommy and at the same time she likes to play around and be very silly -- Daddy. But all in all we have a very happy, loved and well adjusted little girl. She will always give you things to worry about and issues to deal with but when the nights rolls around and you look at that sleeping beauty-- who cares whether she told someone what to do that day or if she played when she should have been picking up a toy. She is happy, loving and loved and isn't that what we all want? Enjoy the ride, every day is an adventure you'll share together.

Mom