Monday, May 18, 2009

He laughs at me

So I have never been one of these hard core environmentalist, but I have dipped my foot in the water throughout time and every time I do I like what I learn and feel a little more comfortable. So as time goes on I increase my involvement with helping the environment. We have switched over to all natural cleaning products for the home (as much as possible I should say!)I try to take my own bags to the stores (okay I forget sometimes..but I am doing better) I take refillable water containers daily and not water bottles. I buy organic and/or local as much as I can or can afford! I buy from the farmers market when the season is here..it is actually a favorite summer thing to do.. As I say, I am not hard core, but I feel good about my little things....and I slip..but don't we all!
so last fall I started researching recycling and learned how close we were to the Evanston drop off plant and told Jason I wanted to set up a place in the house to start recycling...and..
He laughs at me.
(now I dropped it due to us having such a small space..and have felt bad every time I drive past the drop off place!)
Why am I bringing this up now..
we are moving to Iowa and will have a house and I am determined to set up a recycling area in the basement, so after I let Jason know the importance of this and gave him a bit of info on the different types of plastics, the way they are labeled and the types of household items that can and cannot be recycled (he didn't think I actually knew anything about it..he thought I was just wanting to do it to say I did!)and the important impact this would have on Hadley he acknowledged this was going to happen and said he would participate, or he just felt bad for laughing at me the first time!
so..I thought I would hit him up with the next thing I wanted to do in my idea of being environmentally friendly..picking up your own veggies at the local farm..
He laughs at me.
I told him it is a learning experience for Hadley to see where the veggies are grown, she may be more apt to try new ones, she would love the experience, they would be organic (and cheaper than buying them in the store) and it would be supporting the local farmers..which we love to do at the farmers markets anyway...
so now I am on the hunt for local farms where you can go and get your veggies. I got this crazy idea from a news report here several months ago, and then read an article recently about it, so I am on the hunt...and I am sure I will drag Jason laughing the whole way!

0 comments: