Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chicago...What I have..well..not loved

Now is the time to be the "glass half empty" person! Here is my list of the things about Chicago I have not loved..actually I have, shall I say at times loathed, and at times I will go as far as to say I have HATED about Chicago!! It really depends when you get me and ask me the question, "How do you like Chicago?" what answer you get..if I just got back from the day at the beach..I may be loving Chicago! But as you will see by my list of things I have..well..not loved about Chicago..I could really have lived my entire life not living here and been happy! Don't get me wrong, I have great memories (but I would have great memories if we would have lived somewhere else!)and I did gain some great things (see earlier post) but those things could have been gained elsewhere..who knows! So here it goes..I am laying it all out there! Some people may have heard these things, some of you may have heard a few of them, but I try to put on the brave face as to not disappoint that things aren't in their perfect bubble..but as Jason told me the other night.."this is your blog and you can't change how you feel and shouldn't hide it" (Man I love him!) So for everyone..here is my list of what I have NOT LOVED about Chicago!!

*that we have to pay for a garage, if not we end up parking 2-3 blocks away!
*that we don't have a back yard to play in, we can't just go outside to play at our own house if we wanted to
*that I have to walk my dog every time she has to go outside because I can't just let her out to go..and I have to drag Hadley with me if Jason isn't home because she obviously can't stay home alone!
*the cost of living, yes we LOVE our condo, but we HATE that we paid mid 200's for a 2bed/2bath condo..welcome to Chicago!!

Okay..those are the petty things, the things that have really bothered me..

*that Hadley has never known what it is like to have Santa come to her house, she only knows to give Santa directions to Grandma and Grandpa's house
*that Hadley hasn't gotten to have the full holiday experience due to living so far from family..we have spent several holidays alone, some just the two of us due to Jason working
*that I have spent a lot my time alone with Hadley because Jason works and we have no family and really no group of friends here, so Chicago gets lonely
*that we don't get date night more than 2-3 times a year because we don't have family around and it is too expensive to have a babysitter for the night and too hard to find a good babysitter
*that my best friend has a 1 yr old daughter that I have met only one time and we have missed out on many memories together..my heart hurts missing her..I know..I have said that before, but it does
*that I have other friends that I have barely seen in the last 4 yrs, who have had kids that I have only met one time, and wondering if me being gone these years has hurt my chance of having those friendships back
*that Hadley sees her cousins and Grandparents (besides my mom) only 2-3 times a year, how sad is that for all sides
*watching Hadley cry when we drop Grandparents off at the airport
*that Hadley doesn't know what it is like to stay overnight at Grandma and Grandpa's
*that we have had to delay having another baby due to living in Chicago (at least the first 3yrs..last yr was for other reasons beyond us)
*that I have missed seeing my nieces and nephews grow up these last few years, I just hope this doesn't hurt how close our relationship can be, and I worry about this
*that I missed the last 3 years of my grandpa's life. I know he wouldn't have had it any other way, he was very proud of me and Jason, and I was there for the last days of his life to help take care of him, but it will never replace the fact that I missed out spending time with him those last 3 yrs, time I can never get back

So, here is my list of things that has caused me anger, frustration, pain, sadness, tears, and at times depression over the last 4 years. I got through them with the love and support of my family, my best friend, my daughter, and my husband and some really good wine! But really, Chicago..I am done with you...so anyone who wants their turn at Chicago..we still have a great condo up for grabs!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a fact. We live just one life. When we turn left, we wonder what it would have been like if we had turned right. If we are upstairs, we wonder what we're missing downstairs. If we watch one channel on tv, we figure we're missing great shows on the other 399. If we take a more challenging road, we often long for the security of sameness, thinking we should never have tried to do anything different at all. But we find that family and true friends will always be there, and never blame us for reaching for high goals in life, even if it involves being away for awhile.

Unknown said...

Anonymous, you hit the nail on the head with your comment. It's our nature to wonder "what if." We have to work at not allowing those "what ifs" to consume us.

Stacie, it sounds to me that you did a great job finding the silver lining in living in Chicago. You didn't dwell on the sucky stuff. You took Chicago and made it your own. Good for you!