Monday, April 13, 2009

Meals in the Day Household

As I was commenting on Nickie's post about forgetting to feed dinner to her kids (sorry Nickie!!) I made the comment about our routine dinners of pancakes, pb&j, ham, and hotdogs. And yes, this is a routine of dinners for Hadley. Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE to cook. I LOVE cooking shows and cookbooks/magazines.I have binders full of recipes perfectly organized!Even Hadley LOVES to cook and watch cooking shows (esp. Giada) And if you ever come over to our house for a dinner, dinner party, superbowl party, birthday party, etc, you will be served an array of appetizers, salad, meal, desserts, and maybe even a special mixed drink. Partly because I love to cook and partly because I love to through these parties!
But don't be fooled...come over to the Day household on a typical weeknight and you will be served..pancakes..hotdogs (all beef of course!..I try to fool myself!)...ham (Hadley's fav!)...and sometimes..just oatmeal! You see, most nights it is just me and Hadley. So I decided years ago, why make a huge meal for just the two of us. She is happy eating her routine things. I make sure she eats a fruit and veggie and gets her milk..so that is a balanced meal, Right?
Hadley doesn't argue about what is for dinner, and since Mommy desperately needs to lose a few dozen then it allows me to watch what I eat too..so it is a win-win situation. Now on the weekends, if Jason is home I will make a dinner, as it is important for all of to sit down as a family to eat, and as a male he is a little picker!!
I bet over the years there have been many fooled by my "dinner party" meals who thought..wow she must cook like that all the time..HA HA!! Now...I would love to think one day I will work less and have more time at home and in that more time cook more rounded meals. I could spend that needed time making a large dinner every night for everyone, because I do love to cook. But ya know, I won't!! There will always be things needed to be done in that time. And that main thing,spending time with my family.
I guess we do the best we can! I just keep looking at Hadley's plate and say: meat, fruit, veggie, milk...is hotdog a meat?????

0 comments: