Friday, April 10, 2009

5 Year Check Up

Hadley had her 5 Year check up today. This has been a point of anxiety in our house as Hadley has heard her friends at school talk about the dreaded kindergarten shots!! She has gotten so upset that she has cried, convinced herself that her doctor won't give them to her, and tried to convince me that she didn't need to go. But today was the day. She was great for the doctor, and then asked the question: "Do I get shots?" To which Dr. Ellen replied, "Yes, but not until I leave. The nurse will do that." (Smart doctor!)So she let us know Hadley would get 4 shots in the leg, a TB test and then would need to pee in the cup before she leaves (to which Hadley said "gross")Hadley immediately climbs on my lap starting to cry for a bit about the shots and then calms down to play while we wait. As she is playing in the room waiting for the nurse she is constantly saying (in a very anxious tone): "Is the nurse coming?" "Is that the nurse?" "When will the nurse be here?"
And then all of a sudden she says:
"Mommy, what happens if you poop in the cup?"
"What, Hadley?"
"I have to pee in a cup. What happens if you poop in the cup?"
"Hadley, do you need to poop?" (thinking, please don't poop in the cup)
"No."
"Okay. Well, I don't know what happens. Why?"
"Nevermind. I don't want to talk about it."

After that out of the blue conversation about poop, the nurse finally comes in! Hadley gets a little nervous. She lays down for her TB test. Mommy prepares for tears..nothing...Hadley doesn't even realize the shot took place. Next I move in to hold both hands/arms to her chest while the nurse holds the legs for the 4 shots..I really prepare for the shots. Hadley barely notices the first two. Then the nurse says the next two will sting..I think ok..here it comes...Hadley's eyes get really wide and a look of "oh god..ouch" comes over her face..and then nothing. No tears, no ouch, no screams..nothing. The nurse says, "Well, Hadley, you are one of the bravest 5 yr old's I know."
So after the nurse leaves, Mommy in amazement at Hadley. Hadley stands on the table, looks right at me, teeth clinched and she says, "That hurt. That really hurts."
The whole ride to lunch Hadley just kept saying, "I was just so worried about them." I think she was as much in amazement that they weren't the worst pain ever as I was in amazement that I didn't carry out a crying child!

0 comments: