Monday, January 26, 2009

And the total is..

Hadley loves her activities, both gymnastics and ice skating. And ice skating is quickly becoming her favorite. She loves to ice skate, wants to stay after her lessons, watches it on TV, can't stop talking about the Disney on Ice Show we are going to in a few weeks. And I knew when we got started ice skating would one day be an expensive sport to do..well..that day came sooner! You see, my daughter has these weird feet. She has a perfect arch in her foot when on her tip toes, but when she puts her foot down..flat as a pancake. It is a little freaky sometimes to see, we even had her seen by an orthopedist when she was about 2 yrs old because her ankles seemed to go inward. But she is fine, thank god, she just has weird feet. This has made it next to impossible to wear some shoes, I usually have to go up a size. After a few ice skating lessons Hadley started to say her toes hurt, so I took her in to the ice skate shop to get her fitted for ice skates, hoping we could still use the rental ones each week..well..here comes the part where the cost of ice skating got us early!
Lady: "What size shoe does she wear?"
Me: "10-10.5"
Lady: "Are you sure?"
Me: "yes, I mean she hasn't complained" (I feel her toes in her shoes) "And there is room in these shoes."
Lady: "She is measuring a 13"
Me: "Wow, should she be wearing the 13 in rentals?"
Lady: "Well, she can, but those are unisex and may still hurt."
(and let me tell you I left there thinking I didn't know my own daughter's shoe size, which bothered me all day!!!)

We try on a size 13 rental that day for the lessons, Hadley still comes off the ice complaining about her toes, almost in tears..so we head back to the Ice Shop and try on a few pairs until we find the right ones for her weird feet!!! And of course then you have to get covers for the blades...and a bag (which I felt we could wait on)
So ladies and gentleman we have entered the expensive world of ice skating!! But she is too cute so it is okay!!! (I won't share the total..but it isn't as bad as you are probally thinking..I hope!!)


1 comments:

Jessica said...

Just look at her face - totally worth it!